LOCATION: PORTLAND, OR
Title: Positive Discipline in the Classroom
Facilitators: Steven Foster, LCSW, CPDLT and
Julia Tomes M.A.T., CPDT
Date and Time:
Friday and Saturday
February 21 - 22, 2014
8:45am - 5:00pm
Reedwood Friends Church
2901 SE Steele St.
Portland, OR 97202
A great deal of recent research has shown unequivocally that Social-Emotional Learning (SEL) is vital if teachers and other school personnel hope to increase academic gains for their students of all ages. The abilities of students to manage strong emotions, interact cooperatively with others and resolve problems that come up in their daily lives are quite literally academic survival skills. All SEL programs or curricula strive to teach these skills. Positive Discipline in the Classroom does so in a manner which stresses mutual dignity and respect for students and teachers and also inculcates the democratic values that are at the core of our civic lives.
Workshop Participants Will:
· Learn how to teach the Eight Essential Skills for effective class meetings to students.
· Explore motivations for behavior and learn respectful, encouraging ways to be kind and firm at the same time when faced with challenging behaviors in classrooms and group settings.
· Become familiar with research-based tools to effectively lead a classroom or mediate a conflict based upon cooperation, problem-solving, and mutual respect.
· Learn how to empower students to look for solutions and do the right thing even when no one is looking.
· Learn the Teacher Helping Teacher Problem Solving Steps, an effective tool for ongoing training and support for both teachers and support staff.
Cost: $375 Early Registration received and paid by February 7th, 201, $425 after (includes materials)
- Use your credit card to register here at the PDA Website. (preferred)
- Call the Positive Discipline Association office at 1.866.POS.Disc (210.688.3637)
- Mail a check to: c/o Positive Discipline Association, PO Box 290155, Kerrville, TX 78029
Credit/CEUs available through Portland State University for an additional small fee.
Local Contacts: Steven Foster 971-275-6510, email@example.com, or Julia Tomes 503-841-9130 firstname.lastname@example.org
Cancellation/Refund Policy: A full refund (minus a $35 processing fee) will be given when the request for a refund is made up to 30 days prior to the first day of a workshop. Refunds are not available for cancellations less than 30 days before a workshop. However, paid registrants can transfer to another workshop within one year at no additional cost. Refunds are not available after a transfer is made or if you do not provide advanced notice that you will not be attending the workshop. For all other items or events, the processing fee will be 10% of the purchase price or a minimum of $5.
If you are flying, please DO NOT make flight arrangements until the minimum number have enrolled. The Facilitator or our office staff will let you know as soon as that happens.